Wednesday 12 September 2007

Plumstead Pubs

So far since our arrival in PC we have ventured into 3 of the local boozers. I cant think of a more apt name for the local pubs that boozers because well that's exactly what they are. Old men pubs with proper swirly carpets and until the recent ban with a nice fog of smoke settling across the middle of the room. I had high hopes for The Woodman, it looked like it had been refurbished nicely, had a soft leather sofa and perhaps even looked like it might do Sunday roasts and the papers...(perhaps I was slightly drunk at this point and forgot I was not in Blackheath but in Plumstead)..anyhow it doesnt do food and the local clientele left a lot to be desired.
The Old Mill looks like it needs painting and sprucing up, it always has such a mixed bag of customers, some normal looking types (and yes I am counting people that look like I might be friends with as my understanding of normal)! and some oddities but it had a very friendly barman (landlord)? who I am sure doesnt recognise us at all but always has a cheery hello and goodbye (and this is my closest pub so that's a bonus).
The Star has a fun bingo style quiz on a Tuesday that we are partial to and also shows the rugby and football which is a bonus. It did amuse me the first time I left my husband in here one midweek night to watch the football only to hear that he had been moved to the other side of the pub as ladies darts was on. I also like the fact the old dears behind the bar drink cups of tea..
I havent ventured into The Ship because it is either a)closed for a private party (seemingly every Saturday) or b) has a surly bouncer type outside c) only seems to cater for Asian clientele or d) alternates between this and a chav youth club. Besides what's with the dodgy blue lighting. Anyway it looks like a shithole.
Which brings me on to The Prince Albert. What a fucking dump. It looks like the audience of a Jeremy Kyle show. All tattoos and no teeth and albino pit bull style dogs. I hear they are going to bulldoze it - hopefully with the people inside. If not my concerns is where will these people go to drink.
So my recommendations are either drink in London after work, at home, or venture to Blackheath and Greenwich if you fancy drinking wine (none of the pubs seem to stock more than one type of wine). If you are after a pub and pint and dont fancy dressing up and just want a couple of cheeky beers you cant go wrong in the first 3 pubs.

5 comments:

AJWInBlack said...

The Old Mill is definitely my favourite. Friendly staff and landlord, nicely mixed punters and always a fantastic selection of real beers!

Avatart said...

My fave is the Old Mill too, although I have enjoyed the quiz night in The star before now too.

I like the Mill because it is very friendly, great beer, nice garden for the kids to run around in and a very relaxed atmosphere.

Tony Heywood said...

The star used to Arsenal changing rooms in the early days of the club. I don't think they mention it though!

lookatlangerz said...

I've just moved here the only one that looked like a friendly local looked like the old mill the ship looks nuts dont fancy that one much

Avatart said...

On the common, the Old Mill and the Star are both good pubs. The Ship is more of a sports bar.

Down in Plumstead High Street the Volunteer is a good pub with great Guinness.