Friday 7 September 2007

Skips in Plumstead

What I have noticed since my arrival is the amount of skips outside people's houses in Plumstead. They seem to be on the increase all the time, and there are far more of them than in other boroughs am sure. This can only be a good thing and as I am a)nosey and b) interested in houses (my secret desire is to be Kirstie Allsop - I couldnt face being a proper estate agent, dire pay and dreadful reputation) I spend a lot of time wandering the streets casually peering into people's windows and open doors to see what is going on. So far I have seen a lovely winged back chair I admire and some nice wooden floors, plus some real improvements to gardens! Now I'm not sure if these are property developers, current residents or newcomers but I think we will continue to see a steady stream of first time buyers in the area, attracted by the DLR, Crossrail and affordability and greenery.
My only concern is where will they all go? So far we venture to Greenwich, Blackheath or the Dome for drinks/food, it would be great to have somewhere a little closer, dare I say it even somewhere to walk to..

1 comment:

Doctor Pangloss said...

Welcome to Plumstead Common. I've just found your blog and a very good read it is too.

As for the amount of skips, I've always seen that as a sign of regeneration; property developers cashing in. A sort of precursor to the coming of café society.

I look forward to reading more of your blog.

Pangloss